Glazing takes an ordinary piece and transforms it into a work of art. Hence, glaze application is an important skill a ceramic artist needs to master. Once the skill is gained, the possibilities are endless.
Glaze Application requires a lot of practice and precision to achieve accurate results. However, before an artist can start glazing, they must have a grasp on basic glaze application techniques. This course will introduce you to those basic techniques that an artist would need to start their journey.
- What is a glaze and what they constitute of. This knowledge is critical to understand the outcomes of glazing.
- Techniques include; Dipping, pouring, brushing, spraying, sponging, glaze trailing, glaze layering and glazing with wax resist. Along with, detailed explanations of usage and advantages of each technique.
- Preparing and finishing of articles; Wax application, cleaning and Healing of articles before firing.
- Glaze defects are flaws in the surface quality of a ceramic glaze. This Course will cover causes for these defects and how to fix them.
- Kiln firing plays an important role in the outcome of glazing. You will be learning tricks and tips to get consistent outcomes.
In addition to a demo by the instructor, students will have a lot of practice per session. Also, students will be given a set of bisque articles to practice glaze application and take home.
This is a 7 session course, spread over 4 weeks, of 3 hours per session. We can accommodate only 8 students per Glaze Application course. Hence the registration will be on a first come first serve basis.
You will be working with cone 6 glazes that are also used by professional ceramic artists. The class fee includes firing of the articles and the required supplies.
Lakshmi is a ceramic artist based out of Bangalore. After completing her graduation course in glass and ceramic design from National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad, Lakshmi was curious to explore different mediums. She worked with a pottery studio in Thrissur for a while before deciding to develop her own brand named ‘Keli Pottery’(@keli.pottery).
Having set up her studio in Bangalore she has been exploring with different mediums and experimenting on her craft. Beginning of 2019, Keli was just taking shape, when I started off with some simple tableware, tabletop planters and miniature sets.
- Registration and payment is required to secure a spot in class
- We reserve the right to cancel the classes or programs. The participant will receive full refund in the event of cancellation
- Cancellation Policy :
- No refunds will be provided if the registration is not cancelled 72 hours before the start of the program.
- A refund of 75% will be provided if cancellation does occur before 72 hours of commencement of the program
March 13- April 3| 2:00PM-5.00PM
Saturday and Sunday
Number of sessions: 7
Instructor: Lakshmi KV
Prerequisite: Beginner Wheel Throwing or Handbuilding
Venue: Claystation Studio HSR Layout
Fee: 8500 Rs.